Tuesday, March 22, 2011
Easy Creme Brulee
1. Thickened cream - 200 ml
2. vanilla essence - 3/4 tsp.
3. Egg Yolks - 2
4. Caster Sugar - a little less than 1/4 cup + 6 tsp.
1. Preheat oven to 120°C.
2. Place the cream in a saucepan over medium heat, add vanilla essence and bring to boiling point, then remove from heat.
3. Whisk together egg yolks and caster sugar in a bowl for 2-3 minutes or until pale.
4. Pour hot cream over egg yolk mixture, continuing to whisk until well combined. Strain mixture into a jug, evenly divide between ramekins(I used cupcake molds).
5. Carefully place ramekins in a deep roasting pan lined with a folded tea towel. Pour boiling water into pan to come halfway up the sides of ramekins. Cover pan loosely with foil.
6. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes or until the custard has just set. Remove ramekins from the water bath, and set aside to cool.
7. Sprinkle sugar evenly over the surface of the baked custards. Run a kitchen blowtorch over the custards, or place under a preheated grill until the sugar bubbles and caramelises. Serve.