Monday, January 3, 2011
Triple Decker New Year Cake
1. Plain Flour/Maida - 3 cups
2. Butter - 1 & a 1/2 cup
3. Powdered Sugar - 1 cup
4. Eggs - 3
5. Orange juice - 3 tbsp.
6. Orange Food Colour - a pinch
7. Cocoa Powder - 1 tbsp.
8. Baking Powder - 1 & a 1/2 tsp.
9. Vanilla Essence - 1 tsp.
For the Frosting :
1. Icing Sugar - 1 cup
2. Chocolate - I used a small packet of Kit Kat
3. Cocoa Powder - 1 & a 1/2 tsp.
4. Horlicks Nutribar
1. Mix the butter and sugar together. Keep stirring till you get a creamy mixture.
2. Separate the egg whites and egg yolks, and whisk the egg whites for a few minutes.
3. Add the egg yolks and the egg whites to the butter mixture and stir properly.
4. Now divide this mixture into three parts.
5. Separately, add baking powder to flour and mix properly.
For the Cocoa Layer : Add cocoa powder
For the Vanilla Layer : Add vanilla essence
For the Orange Layer : Add orange juice and food colour
7. Stir well, add milk and/or water to this and continue stirring till you get a semi solid mixture.
8. Now I coudn't fit in all the three layers in my baking tin, so i first baked two layers, and then the third, and then placed the third on top of the other cake.
You can bake all the three layers together. Pour them separately to the baking tin.
9. I baked in my OTG at 140 degree celcius for 30 minutes. the temperature and time may vary according to your oven.
10.After it's done(toothpick test - it should come out clean), let it stay in the oven for 5 minutes.
11.Let it cool.
For the frosting :
1. Heat the chocolate, icing sugar and cocoa powder.
2. Spread this mixture on the cake and top with nutribar pieces.